Monday, December 20, 2004

Marooned

So I find myself back here in Nashville for the holidays. Nothing to do. No one to talk to. All the while, I have a sinking sensation that my buddies in Austin and Dallas are all living it up. By "living" I mean drinking, which I could do here, but the few times I've tried the solo adventures into bars, it hasn't been pretty. I end up sitting at the bar studying the graphics on SportCenter with an intensity that I would devote to very few things, like say, Gina or dismantling a bomb.

Now two days into my ten day excursion, I turn to an old, neglected pasttime, television. Cable television to be exact, and I've quickly reassessed that there is NOTHING on TV worth watching. I tend to gravitate towards the old standards, Simpsons and Seinfeld, which ironically I have a plethora of DVDs at home of. But at least here, it's on a big screen.

And that brings me to my next adventure, shopping with my mom for an HD Plasma Wall-mounted TV for my dad. I was in danger of being swallowed up by acronyms and tech speak. Do we want HD or ED? LCD or Plasma? DPL with our LCD or sans-DPL? HD ready or HD compatable? Well, HD ready because then we wouldn't have to buy or rent a seperate HD box. Whoa, slow down there. We'll need the box anyway? So what do we need the HD ready for then? So Plasma's are better? But they're not repairable? LCD's not as good? But repairable? Which lasts longer? I want DPL?? Why not ED LCD with DPL??? So is HD LCD as good as ED Plasma?!!? AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Don't worry. I don't know about your friends in Austin, but your friends in Dallas aren't living the highlife. Mel's busy being engaged, and I'm busy not drinking because I have MONO and apparently alcohol will make my liver explode. Merry Christmas!